Saturday, May 21, 2016

Plympton, South Australia

There is a saying about throwing good money after bad, and it's applicable to a world beyond money i.e. I did visit this very nondescript space (probably in 1999 - the same time I visited Hectorville) and take ten (10!) photographs of it (including two of the playground equipment), and I then assiduously filed those pictures away, and then I dug them out again recently, scanned them (on a rather lurid setting - sorry) and presented them here for you.

The reason for my ambivalence is simply that it's such a nondescript space. Adelaide is notoriously a dry city, often very hot in Summer, and it can be difficult to get things like trees to grow there. This space is too 'open' for my taste, maybe that's just me. 











Here is the original submitted plan, from Frank Parsons of Adelaide, dated 30 November 1942. You'll note by comparison with the google map that Lot 123 has been widened, and the pathway into this reserve - Lot 122 - narrowed considerably as a result.

One intriguing element is the little 'indent' at the south-west corner of the plan which is clearly Parsons throwing his hands up in the air at the impossibility of the subdivisional jigsaw. I photographed it - see above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kabbera Central, Kelso, NSW

Look at it here.  Kelso is essentially a suburb adjoining the regional city of Bathurst but it has an identity greater than mere adjacent su...